Friday, August 08, 2008

On Feiring in L.A.


Oh my, here's some news that just popped on my radar. Alice Feiring, the sworn foe of Bob Parker and scold of the California wine industry has, according to her blog, been named wine columnist of the new Los Angeles Times Magazine. If you don't know who Feiring is, she's the wine world's equivalent of the Church Lady who (1) has written a book about what a menace Parker is (2) wrote an Op-Ed for the LA Times whose views I took exception to, prompting Feiring to (3) liken me to a certain FOX broadcasting personality.

Interestingly, I actually worked for a while as a sort of fill-in editor at the old Los Angeles Times Magazine, which has been supplanted by this new publication, one that's being managed from the business rather than the editorial side of the operation. So I suppose I have a bit of a conflict, but I will also ponder with interest the monthly musings of die-hard New York resident/Francophile Feiring, in a magazine distributed to hundreds of thousands of Californians, on why our wine stinks so bad and our $3.5 billion wine industry is selling a crummy product.

No comments: